Friday, September 12, 2008

Sheri's Random Rant: The Typical American Voter

Every time there is an election season, I thank God for sending me into the field of political science because it taught me how to pick candidates using research and logic, not emotion. This post has several sections so please bear with me. Some will find this post offensive and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. At this point I feel like some people DESERVE to get their feelings hurt. I would also like to point out that I am not and will not endorse any of the candidates.

I am often asked about my thoughts on political issues but I try not to answer them because the inquirer isn't looking for my opinion, they are looking for someone to agree with them. If I do participate in the conversation, I am forced to endure a speech that is just loyalty-based emotion on a subject. I realize that maybe I should speak up more, and stop worrying about other people's feelings.

The first thing that bothers me about the typical American voter is that every election voters complain about campaign mud slinging. Well, guess who you should blame for it America? YOU! Whenever you as a voter go around quoting the mud and voting based on the mud you are giving candidates a reason to continue slinging mud. If someone sells you spoiled meat and you know its spoiled but you continue to buy it instead of the fresh food, you are to blame because YOU are the one that continues to buy it. This "lipstick on a pig" nonsense is a good example of how voters run the mud-slinging machine. It is just as senseless as when Clinton was accused of being a racist because of a comment he made about Obama. Guess what, America? If you turned off the news every time crap like this would come on the media ratings would go down and they might actually talk about something else!

One of my relatives is constantly trying to get into political debates with me because I refuse to blindly follow Obama. This person argues that this candidate is the perfect president because they give great speeches. I don't even watch the speeches. A speech is not a reflection of a candidate, but the talent of their speech writers, and in the event that said candidate wrote their speech, it only proves that they would have had a great career in journalism, not running a world power. When Palin gave her intro speech (let's be honest: Palin is the one running for president; McCain is 72 years old and his health is less-than-desirable so there is a notable chance that he could die in office), America cheered and that confused the hell out of me. Given that they coached her to death I am not surprised that she read it without screwing up. And since when is the ability to give a great speech evidence of sound leadership? Need I remind you that Hitler gave rousing speeches, too?

I do plan on watching the VP debates, not because it will affect my opinion on either potential VP but because it promises to be entertaining.

I was going to write more, but I think I will stop here. America, if you are going to vote for a candidate, don't do it from speeches or watching the news, do it from researching their domestic and foreign policies plans. Picture them talking to a foreign leader and ask yourself do they have what it takes to secure America's place in the international system. Don't vote because of race or because you like how someone looks or because they seem "normal" to you. Looks do not run a successful country. Abraham Lincoln wasn't aesthetically pleasing at all and he is remembered as one of our greatest presidents. And as for voting for someone because they seem like a "normal" American with "normal" problems, go outside and look around: the country is crawling with "normal" people with problems...would you want any of them to be your president?

History holds the leaders of nations responsible for the failings of their countries. I think that the people that put them in power play a great role in those shortcomings as well.

Any unstructured and/or irrational replies will be deleted. I don't have the patience for it anymore.

No comments: