Friday, March 27, 2009

Green Thumbs

I was talking to an old friend a few days ago about gardens and she reminded me of a former supervisor who nicknamed me "Poison Ivy" because I had so many plants on my desk.

"He was just teasing," I said. "I wasn't that bad."

My friend paused then replied, "Do you remember that TREE you were trying to grow in your apartment?"

I do have a deep love for growing things. While other people had pet goldfish, during my years of living in dorms I had two pet Venus Fly Traps named Mojo Jojo and Mr. Bojangles. My side of the room always looked like the Garden of Eden. Had I not decided on my current career path I would have been equally happy pursuing a career in botany. I'm like a child in a toy store whenever I am in the garden sections of stores. My so-called green thumb has resulted in my home becoming a cross between a plant orphanage and hospital. I have had near-dead plants left on my doorstep more than once that I have nursed back to health and recently my nephew checked in his dying cabbage. A plant is one of the few things on this planet that has mastered the art of reciprocation. The more you put into a plant, the more it gives back. Fruit and vegetable plants reward your care with food. House plants (well, certain types) reward you with a fresher smelling home. Flowers reward you with their beauty. Growing things is a spiritual experience for me. I have embraced the idea of being an amateur botanist.

And in my defense, I found good homes for all of my plants whenever I had to move...including the tree.

No comments: