Tuesday, December 26, 2006

$27.1 million for THIS?


There are a few things that I have made a lifelong goal, and one of is to develop a greater appreciation for art. My hope is that I will learn to see what makes certain paintings special.

Sometimes, however, I have to raise my hand in protest and call it as I see it.

I think that Christie's should be used as a litmus test to determine who does not need to have money. I was reading about how Warhol's painting of Mao Ze Dong sold for $17.4 million to a resident of Hong Kong. That did not surprise me.

When I saw that Willem de Kooning's Untitled XXV sold for $27.1 million, I choked on my coffee. There will always be art that does nothing for me, but $27.1 million for art that resembles the work of my 2-year-old niece is grounds for a public caning. I have often see paintings that literally took my breath taken away, but when I saw this, I very much wanted to find the buyer and slap the hell out of them on behalf of all of humankind.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I could join you in that caning endeavor. UGH!