Friday, October 10, 2008

Obama's 30 Minute Spot

The Obama campaign has bought 30 minutes of airtime and are making one big ad out of it. I don't think this is a good idea. Now, if they broke that up to where every commercial break featured an Obama ad, I think that would be more clever. But I really do not see how this would appeal to anyone except his base. Joe Blow Voter has the attention span of a gnat which served as the motivating factor for 30-second news.

Ross Perot tried this tactic, and while I admit that he did draw a lot of viewers even though listening to his logic was sheer torture, I can't even see Obama's charismatic style holding people for 30 straight minutes. The debates were different, because they promised to be entertaining, but a 30-minute fireside chat is expecting a lot from a population of an increasingly lowered attention span.

No comments: