Monday, October 08, 2007

Detecting Criminals Before They Strike: Is It Possible?

I keep reading about the tragedy in Wisconsin about the sheriff's deputy that killed six teens. I keep reading and hearing over and over again, "How did he get through the system?"

What I like to refer to as "professional" criminals get through the system because the system does not know how to detect when someone is playing its own game against it. To me, it would make perfect sense for someone with the mentality that this deputy displayed to get into a position of power. The same frame of logic applies to other criminals in positions of power. They know how to "play the game," which makes them a million times more terrifying than the criminals we expect to see on the street. I personally do not believe there is a way to truly flush them out because they are so willing to adjust to whatever is designed to stop them.

My heart goes out to the survivors of this tragedy, but the fact that this was done by someone that had the audacity to put on a uniform that is representative of an institution that is supposed to protect the people does not shock me in the least.

No comments: