Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Where the Pro-Life Movement Goes Wrong

I'm sticking my neck out for this one, but it wouldn't be the first time.

When I started this blog, I vowed that I would never bring the abortion debate to this forum. I still intend to keep it that way. You cannot have a debate on a polarized issue, it simply is not possible. What I would like to discuss is the actual pro-life movement.

I was reading another blog where a woman was expressing concern about photos of aborted babies being exposed to children. There were those who stated that showing those photos only heightened animosity against the movement instead of invoking sympathy for the babies. I am obliged to agree. Where the pro-life movement goes wrong is in its delivery. If you want someone to listen to you, calling them a baby killer is probably not going to work. It is this lack of a compassionate approach that has made me hesitant to actively participate in the movement.

What disturbs me even more is that these same people (I have seen this repeatedly) are the ones against social programs designed to help these children that they are trying to save. I have even heard some go as far as suggesting legislation that protected fathers for "having to pay for babies they didn't want."

There are two people involved in this debate, and maybe if some sensitivity was given to both parties, before and after the pregnancy, then maybe these women would feel that there are other options besides abortion.

Hate is a poor salesman.

No comments: