Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sheri's Weekly Rant - Stood Up & Shot Down

The Student Government Association of my university is trying to block the formation of an organization that promotes gay tolerance. I pointed out that the same arguments being used to stop this organization from being on campus were once used to block organizations that tried to teach racial tolerance, and that this effort violated their Constitutional Right to Assembly and Free Speech. You would not believe some of the responses I received:

"My friends and I don't want any gay people on campus passing out flyers about gay stuff."

"I think their meetings should be monitored."

"They are discriminating against straight people and if they are going to teach about being gay, they should teach about being straight, too."

The last comment won the argument and they sent their constitution back with the caveat that they would not approve it unless the group explained their "intentions" and agreed to teach about "being heterosexual." I knew this would be difficult, but it hurt like hell when I had to call the Gay-Straight Alliance president and tell him that I failed. I fear that some of the programs that I have been backing on behalf of rape/assault victims on campus will pay for me speaking out. Still, I do not regret my actions. It will help me sleep at night.

I never thought that I would ever be on the "other side" of a civil rights movement.

4 comments:

Human said...

hmmmm. The small print reflects their small minds. Many Blacks that I talk with say that the Gay's problems are not the same thing as what they went through
and in some cases still going through. That being Gay is a choice.I say hate and discrimination knows no bounds. Except the ones we corral them in. Thanks for woking for the greater good.
Keep swinging Woman.
Peace.

S said...

I had to explain to members of my ethnic group that it is the SAME fight, but with a new prejudice, and that we would be hypocrites to not support this organization.

That meeting upset me so that I watched "American Idol" without realizing it.

porchwise said...

You know the rule: Stick to your convictions!

Tal said...

Keep working Sheri, there are a lot of people that believe and admire what you are trying to do.