Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Foley Shouldn't Be the Only One Resigning

I made the fatal mistake of going to the ABC News site that was responsible for bringing the Foley scandal to light, and read some of the instant messages that he sent a teenage page. I cannot put into words how shocked and disgusted I am. Every Congressman - especially Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) and Rep. John M. Shimkus (R-Ill.) - that was aware of what Foley was doing and did not take action should be forced to resign. There was no way they could justify how aggressively he pursued these children. How Hastert could claim that the IMs were "ambiguous" with a straight face is deplorable.

I am not particularly comfortable with providing a link to the site that has some of the IMs, which would have been shocking even if Foley had sent them to an adult, but I am willing to provide a home address. You are welcome to search for them on your own:

http://abcnews.go.com/

1 comment:

Steven Taylor said...

To be fair (and note, I have been harsh in my critiques of leadership and do believe that Hastert should go), there is no evidence that Hastert, or any other member of the House, knew anything about the IMs.

The "ambiguous" comment was about the original e-mail which was odd but not overtly sexual.

I think that the e-mail should have resulted in a broader investigation, but it bears no resemblence to the IMs, which are in a whoooole 'nother category.

Happy Blog Day, btw.