Sunday, October 29, 2006

That's Just Great...

Our priest was talking about a Bible verse he found that mentioned being spiritually "refined." This lead him to go on a slight tangent about how he admired refined and elegant people and he decided to point me out as an example of being refined and elegant. After Mass, I heard high-pitched, very animated commentary from another parish member who is known for her perfectionist tendencies. Even I avoid her. As I was leaving, I heard her say in the parking lot to her husband and our priest:

"Oh, so I'm not elegant and refined enough? Is that it? Oh, there goes our perfect and refined and elegant lady now!"

I would love to write this off as a joking affair, but the strained look on the faces of the others did not encourage that idea. I had really hoped I could graduate and move to another city without falling under the radar of the local SPUCC (Super-Perfect Undermedicated Church Chick).

1 comment:

Pete said...

Hi S

I've had numerous brushes with churches before (from traditional to evangelical). I now rejoice in being one of the godless masses - saves time - and like to be responsible for my own soulsearching on my own terms.

I find churches expect a measure of conformity of values and its sad when the SPUCCs of this world are seen as "respectable models".

BTW despite my last flippant article please comment on the future ones as they'll have serious humanitarian intent.

Regards

Pete