Thursday, November 16, 2006

UCLA cops assault student

UCLA is the first place I would expect a student to "stand up to" authority, so I would normally pity their police department. However, the video I just watched cannot be justified. MSNBC's account sugarcoats the incident and on CNN tonight, editor of the UCLA's student paper the Daily Bruin, Sara Taylor, gave a robotic interview that did not shed any light on the assault of the student, Mostafa Tabatabainejad, unlike her article.

I saw the footage and the claims that the student was repeatedly tasered while he screamed, "I'm not fighting you; I said I'll leave" are true. The officers in the video claimed that the reason they continued to use tasers on Tabatabainejad was because he refused to stand up. A little common sense, people: the whole point of a taser is to incapacitate a person and excessive use can lead to death. By my personal count, this kid was tased at least 5 times.

One of the officers threatened to use a taser on a student that demanded their bag numbers.

1 comment:

Pete said...

S

Tasers are usually only used by SWAT teams in my country - thank goodness.

Pete