Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Political Plantations...?

I adore Hillary Clinton, but I have to call her out for pulling an old political dirty trick: using ethnic trigger words. When I heard Clinton compare the GOP to a plantation, even I rolled my eyes. Anyone with even modest knowledge of political strategy knows that every voting group, ethnic or otherwise, has their own set of trigger words. These little words are enough to convince any group that they are under attack, thus mobilizing them behind a politician with precious little effort.

I used to be just sensitive to trigger words such as "plantation." Thankfully I was eventually exposed to an environment that helped me taper my reactions to them, but I still flinch. I, however, am a minority in a minority.

As I said earlier, I like Clinton, but this obvious political ploy has earned a rolling of the eyes from this supporter.

No comments: