Tuesday, November 22, 2005

How the Retailers Stole Thanksgiving! (and Halloween...)

My sisters' children have dubbed me "Auntie Grinch," and rightfully so, because I openly loathe and despise Christmas. Aside from the fact that you are burned out after freely giving time, money and blood (literally) for 11 months and therefore are not too thrilled to see the Salvation Army bellringers by Month 12, retailers have taken it upon themselves to start shoving it down our throats in October. Now the sight of plastic Santas makes me pyromaniacal. Halloween is my favorite holiday. It is the only time of the year when you get to choose your identity and get away with it. But do I get to savor that? No! Before you get a chance to carve a pumpkin, here comes Christmas, courtesy of Dillard's et al.

Down with Holiday Imperialism! Consumers of the world, unite!

2 comments:

Me to know...you to discover said...

I couldnt agree with you more! I like your blog - i think we are like minded :))

porchwise said...

Thanks to the past decades shopmasters promo's, the day after
Turkey day is now the largest retail sales day of the year. I wouldn't go into one of those damn stores without a pistol strapped to my side but then, as a male chauvanist pig, I don't have to go shopping anyway.