Friday, December 09, 2005

The 9/11 Confession

I am torn in regards to the 9/11 commission. Not to the fact that they investigated the Bush administration, but to the dissemination of their results. I believe in freedom of information with my very soul, however, I cannot help but express concern over how wise it is to make it so public.

The people need to know for two reasons: 1.) to alert them of areas that are high-risk for terrorist attacks, and 2.) so they will vote for officials that are more proactive. But I cannot help but defer to the old logic that this time it may be counterproductive. When people think of intelligence collection, they think of covert ops, but obscene amounts of intelligence are collected from a country's media sources. It is easier and practically free.

As I said, I believe in freedom of information, but the reason the overt publicizing of the results concern me is because it tells terrorists when to strike. September 11 produced three sets of victims: 1.) those murdered directly by the attacks; 2.) the victims' survivors; and 3.) the 1st amendment via the Patriot Act.

1 comment:

brainhell said...

The 9/11 Commission report, which I read, is very careful to avoid creating another set of victims: the Administration officials who failed in their duty to protect this country. To a large extent, it's a whitewash.