Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Christmas Wars

In a brief discussion on the "war on Christmas," I asked why it was suddenly incorrect to say "Happy Holidays" after all these years. The response was "I don't know," but apparently Christianity is still under attack.

I believe for most of the population, when we say "Happy Holidays," it is not an attack on any religion, but an act of politeness and convenience. That one phrase covers all the winter holidays. But thanks to Bill O'Reilly et al, now saying anything other than "Merry Christmas" is anti-Christian. I do not recall any readings on any religion where the primary deities authorized their followers to play religious Simon Says with others.

I think I speak for all of us caught in the crossfire of the Christmas warriors and the PC police with this final comment: Practice what is preached: PEACE.

Merry/Happy Everything!

No comments: