Tuesday, December 27, 2005

On Wine and Beer

I confess that I am a novice wine-snob. The entire wine culture is a joy to me and I love going to a restaurant and having some idea of what to order. I study it and keep a scrapbook complete with rating system of the wines I have bought. Wine is an art to me, and the very idea of drinking it for the sake of getting drunk is sacrilege.

Nevertheless, I have encountered many that equate my respect and love for wine to alcoholism. At one point I became concerned, but after receiving a friendly 30-minute lecture by an AA counselor on "actual" alcoholism, I realized the problem lay elsewhere. It occurred to me that having a bottle/can of beer is "unwinding," but wine after work or with dinner is "alcoholism."

The irony of it all is that the same people concerned with my "drinking problem" are the ones that come to me when they do not know what to serve at a dinner party.

3 comments:

Human said...

Years ago in another feeble attempt to impress a girl I took her to a expensive resturant that did not have a price list on the menu. Well as I grew up on the poor side by regular American standards I thought the $150.00 was enough.

When it came time to order the wine for the meal I took a look at the list and couldn't tell what was what. No Boones Farm or Mateuse was listed. So I thought I would just order what 007 does. I blurted out "Dom Perigon". The waiter stopped his writing and looking me in the eye said "I did not want that", a house wine would do Sir". I had never before been denied at a resturant except when the ice-cream machine broke down at my favorite Chinese Buffet, so I persisted. The waiter persisted. I then thought "hey this guy is really tring to tell me something". So I caved and ordered the house wine.

Later before desert I excused myself to go to the mens room and I ran into the waiter. I asked him why he did not want me to order Dom Perigon and he said in a most gentle way that it was expensive. Harumphing at this slight (I'am not poor anymore!) I said what do I look like a bum? He said no sir. I said how much is it?(intending to order it to the table)He replied $150.00 a bottle sir. I could feel the blood drain from my face. I stuttered a profuse thanks and shook his hand.

When the bill came the total was $120 and change.The house wine was $30.00 of it. You betcha I tipped the waiter well. I gave him the rest that I had, which my undergraduate(finished 9th grade I'll have you know) brain told me a 25% tip was fully justified in this case. I could still hold my head high.

And yes it went well afterward, thank you. On monday though I had to get my James Bond wannabe ass over to the construction site for another 10hr day. That there overtimes important when ya make $7.00 an hour.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

LOL Human.

I'm at work ... bbl.

Pete said...

Wine is also very important to my partner, Pam, and I.

You can learn a lot about a country's geography through its wine regional differrences and by visiting wineries.

Pam is also a member of a wine club another one of her attractions!. Membership comes with a case of wine every 2 months with descriptions and maps. We stick with Australian wine mainly and the less expenive (around $10/bottle) French stuff.

I think wine is the best social drink, especially for couples.

You might agree that men who stick to beer are at a serious disadvantage when attempting to "wine and dine" a woman.