Monday, October 10, 2005

All Quiet on the GOP Front

This will probably be the highlight of my day--but at least it makes up for all of the anti-Democratic ads that Google has chosen to send to my site:

The Washington Post leads today with the news that, like the military, the Republican party is also having a hard time landing recruits. Potential GOP candidates are treating bids for the next Senate election like they are laden with anthrax. It appears that the questionable ethics of some of the higher GOP officials, combined with the debacle in Iraq, combined with high gas prices, combined with a shot economy, combined with the Miers nomination, combined with a laundry list of things that I will try to resist the urge to rant about have finally come home to roost. Even Rove, Bush's reincarnation of Otto von Bismarck, was unsuccessful in tempting potential candidates into the arena. And we have had more hurricanes in the past two years than I have seen in my entire life, so I can only suppose that Bush's claim that he has a direct line to Heaven did not go to well with God, either. The GOP still has a few stragglers, such as Katherine Harris, but she gets birthday cards from the White House so she really does not count.

If the Democrats do not run with this I am joining the Green Party out of spite--but for now, this is better than sex after a good meal on Christmas.

2 comments:

Tal said...

I feel that the Senate has moved into the realm of possibility in 2006, but probably not. I think we have a good shot at Bob Casey over Santorum (Penn), Hackett over DeWine (Ohio), Ford over whomever (Tenn.), and maybe Tester in Montana.

Dan Trabue said...

The Dems will not run with it. Our elected Dems are by and large a part of the problem, not the solution. They want to make progress? Offer real alternatives to Republicans and not just Republican Lite.

We'll welcome you in over at the Greens!

[Actually, I'm a registered Dem, just a Green at heart. I like your blog and will be back.]