Friday, October 21, 2005

Solicited!

Earlier this week I was stopped by a motorist on my way from class who claimed to seek directions to a certain part of the local campus. This devolved into a request for paid services.

That's right, folks - I was solicited for prostitution.

The first feelings I experienced were high levels of indignation and a sense of social vulnerability. I am image conscious to a fault and pride myself on maintaining a ladylike appearance. I was so bothered by this that I missed class the next day, trying to figure out why would anyone assume that I could be picked up. I told a couple of my friends about it, and the response ranged from laughter to "just ignore it." The laughter infuriated me, and ignoring it was not an option. I asked another person and the first thing she asked me was what was I wearing. That struck me, because my first defense was that I was overdressed, as if my attire proved whether or not I was "asking for it." This neofeminist held the woman accountable, declaring my guilt without ever entertaining the idea that I might be innocent...just like the social Neanderthals I love to bash. It also alerted me of another aspect of my hypocrisy, because I have said that prostitution should not only be legalized, but heavily regulated and taxed. It made me think of the Marxist argument of how a class society devalues its participants based on status and occupation. It is acceptable for someone to be a prostitute the same as it is acceptable for someone to be a forklift operator, just as long as no one thinks that I am one.

It seems that my solicitor is not the only one with the problem.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

After reading your entry I will give you a piece of advise from a complete stranger. As a society we have had what can best be describe as a set of socially acceptable values forced upon us. As we age we expand upon these values, which causes them to change slightly over time. Prostitution just happens to be one of those aspects of society, which has been deemed immoral. Regardless of your personal beliefs about the subject the ideal that prostitution is immoral remains apart of your core values despite you best effort. As a result when you were solicited your core value system immediately associated prostitution with an immoral act thus causing a conflict between your core values and the values that you have developed over the course of you life time.

At least that's my two cents.

Human said...

revvelias - good point.
Peace yf Human