Friday, October 28, 2005

The Sexual Revolution Produced Unhappy Offspring?

Few things amuse me more than when someone who cannot walk in my shoes insists that my feet are hurting.

An article by Meghan O'Rourke entitled Theories of the Erotic, shares the impassioned plea by Harvard government professor Harvey Mansfield that women should reevaluate their post-sexual revolution ideas because we are teaching males not to value commitment via our providing them sexual "samples." Dr. Mansfield believes that we are an unhappy, ringless generation - the unfortunate, illegitimate offspring of the Sexual Revolution. He borrows from the work of Leon Krass, The End of Courtship which claims that "young women strike [him] as sad, lonely, and confused" because of the new sexuality.

Here is my take on the situation: as someone who grew up in the sexually repressive bowels of the deeply religious deep South, I personally was miserable with the restrictions placed on women in terms of relationships, and now that I am back, it is still frustrating that you have to hide part of yourself in order to be respectful. Nevermind the people I encounter that will argue with me that I want a husband and children, as if I am somehow less of a woman if I choose not to. I do not believe that the Sexual Revolution really had anything to do with sex en generale as it did with women who were sick of the oppressive status quo. It was about the ability to have the freedom to express oneself. As a woman, no, I do not enjoy the games and rules that come with "courtship," no, I do not feel my biological clock ticking, (in fact, I have spent the last eight years trying to find a doctor that was willing to dismantle it), no, my ring finger has never itched, and no, I do not like it when middle-aged males tell me that the psychological weight I feel lifted off me when I do express myself is an illusion.

No comments: