Thursday, October 06, 2005

"Hi, I'm Republican Barbie!" - On Ann Coulter

This post could very well be classified as my weekly rant, but I am saving that for later.
I will never forget the first time I saw Ann Coulter on television. I remember thinking, "What a shame...they are going to treat her like she's an idiot because of how she looks." I will also never forget my first reaction after listening to her commentary. I remember thinking, "Wow...she's not exactly the brightest crayon in the box," before switching the channel. Ms. Coulter is now among my personal top ten list of pundits whose name alone gives me an instant headache. I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot recall a period where I have heard anything she has said that struck me as being more than an unstructured rant. I know that I am guilty of unstructured rants, but she did it on C-SPAN. I would love to know more about her upbringing, because her uncompromising sycophancy to her party suggests that at one time she was a tabula rasa thrust into a series of Republican conventions until she was morphed into what she is today. The reason that I am taking the time today to pay my respects to the GOP's official cheerleader is due to an article I came across while doing research for a paper, where Coulter accused anyone who questioned the qualifications of Condoleezza Rice as being racist. What made this piece such a joy to read was that the person she accused of being racist participated in the Civil Rights movement, a fact that she failed to address. I hope as she matures that Coulter will learn the fine art of structured debate. On a final note that piece made me question my own beliefs: since I share the same sentiment about Dr. Rice, does that make me racist as well?

1 comment:

Jan said...

I thought Dubya was the GOP's official cheerleader. That's his only qualification isn't it. lol!