Friday, October 07, 2005

Sheri's Weekly Rant - Condoleezza Rice

I am plagued with repeatedly seeing something that makes my stomach turn: ads suggesting that Condoleezza Rice run for president in 2008. This bit of delirium is being pushed by groups such as the National Federation of Republican Women, and a so-called maverick by the name of Dick Morris has gone as far as writing a book comparing Rice and Hillary Clinton like heavyweight champions. While it may seem strange to many that I would be so vehemently against the idea of Dr. Rice being president, seeing that we share the same shade, when I look at her all I see is someone who is just a darker shade of yellow. Whereas Dr. Rice may be an otherwise intelligent and accomplished woman, in the field of politics she is as yellow as any coward can get. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt based on accounts that she allegedly made suggestions to President Bush to avert some of his more questionable policies--before I had simply sized her up as being another one of his disciples. Whereas I understand the importance of loyalty, blind obedience is unacceptable. The way I see it, anytime anyone in the White House questioned anything proposed that could pose as a detriment for this country, they were standing up for the American people. She has already shown that for most of her existence in the administration she was incapable of doing that, so why should we give her more power to let us down? And I personally believe Richard Clarke's claim that she took on a deer-in-headlights appearance at the mention of the existence of Al Qaeda. I would love to see a change in the presidential demographics, but I would rather go to my grave without seeing that historical day that have someone in office that can stand idly by while her cronies gamble with our country's greatness. My lack of faith in her is so intense that my face twitches when I hear her name. Whenever I tell someone of my career aspirations and they ask me if I want to be the next Condoleezza Rice I silently forgive them for not knowing any better and make notes to keep the conversation simple with them in the future. Our nation needs a leader with intelligence and a spine. Dr. Rice may qualify to head a university, but from what I am gathering of her, I would not choose her to be the head of a grocery store, much less a country.

No comments: